Thursday, October 23, 2008

Single & Unavailable

Single & Unavailable is my newest tag line. I am most tempted to print it on the front of a t-shirt and flaunt it everywhere I go but better sense prevails (read ‘family hitting the roof’).

We singles are never left alone. Somehow people think singles need to be sympathised with, encouraged to ‘keep trying’ and definitely never ever to be left single! They need to be hooked. They need to meet more people (read ‘singles of the opposite sex’). They need to have an open mind. They need to be less choosy and more practical. They need to think about their future and old age. They need to think of companionship. They need to think of having kids. They need to think of their parents (the pain they go through by your staying single). They need to think of society. They need to think of the whole world. But never do they have to think of themselves!

But then whose needs are these? Does the single feel these needs? Or are they imagined by the non-singles? If so, then I see no reason why the single should consider them. Do we singles ever go telling the married ones to get back to being single? To think about how wonderful it is to be single? About what a big help we’re rendering the earth by not adding to the world population?

According to most to stay single is blasphemy! It is unacceptable. It is selfish. I secretly believe the reason for this outrage is plain jealousy. Mind you, a few of my married friends, young & old alike, have actually admitted this. So, I’m not far from the truth.

Everyone has a right to live their life in the way they deem fit and in a way they want to, irrespective of whether that chosen path is approved by others or not. But society (read ‘nosy people’) have a tendency to poke their nose into others’ lives but finally it’s in your hands as to how much leeway you give them to question & probe & (ill) advise. As for me, I give a damn! I say it out loud…I’m single & unavailable.

No comments: